Wednesday 18 January 2012

Kanchanaburi - The River Kwai

I decided to leave Bangkok and head west to Kanchanaburi to find out more about what happened there during World War 2. Knowing that my Grandfather was a POW it meant a lot to me to go here to see what he and so many other people went through. My Grandad was on the Burma side of building the railway that linked Burma to Thailand. Unable to get to Burma I knew I would be able to find out what had happened here. Going through the museum and I was all but brought to tears at what I read and the photos I saw of the soldiers. Nobody should have to face the atrocities that so many had to at the hands of the Japanese. Over 115,000 lives were lost on the building of this railway alone, over 3000 of them Aussie diggers. I have always been proud to be Australian, especially so after my visit here and to see what these young men went through to fight for our country. To my Grandad, I love you and miss you, I wish I had been able to spend more time with you growing up and getting to know you better.

This is just one of the many cemeteries around Kanchanaburi

 Very interesting and informative museum from the World War 2

 The River Kwai

 Of course the Bridge over the River Kwai

 One of the trains that runs along part of the old railway

Grandpa O'Donnell

No comments:

Post a Comment